Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 16 - Interview

INTERVIEWING FOR A JOB

Today I had my first interview for a position as a Help Desk Technician.

It seemed to go quite well. I talked with the Operations and Day Time Managers. I was surprised that they didn't ask any technical questions. It was mostly about me, my personality and how I would interact in a given situation.  It was very informal as it was held in the lobby of the building. This is a government position and they will get that a clearance for me. I have no past issues, so this should be a quick process once all the paperwork is completed.

LOL - actually as my wife already went through this, it takes MONTHS to get your clearance.

The only down side was that I still needed certifications. Little pieces of paper that said I have been tested and passed some type of study on a technological subject. My ITIL certifications were actually handy as this was part of the over all puzzle.

I stopped at Barnes & Noble to get myself a cram book. My subject to pass will be CompTIA Security+. The good news is that this may not stop me getting hired, but I do need this passed in 6 months. Needless to say, I will be trying to get this completed in the next month. My personal goal is 1 chapter a day which will be 2 weeks of studying. After that, it will be prep test for another week. Once I have a good grip on this (need a passing score of 750), I will have to drop $276 on the certification test. OMFG - almost 3 bills for this - I gotta pass this the first time as it is costly.  I think this will be a an nice addition to my resume though and helpful.

Jobless Cartoon of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment