Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day Two - Job Hunting


CERTIFICATIONS

One of the issues with Computer Support are these damn certifications. I had been working for a company for years and never did get my A+ or Network+ certificates. This sucks for me as many companies are requiring this for the job. I can understand the reasoning, but 10 years experience should be something to bring. For now however, I am at least working on getting the A+ since I have the time now.

I did however take a different approach as I wanted to be in a more Managerial position. I decided to get certified in ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library). I found this to be very interesting and a great way to get a better grip on the process within IT. It helped me to bring structure to a chaotic environment.

I currently have my ITIL Foundation V2 and V3 Bridge which gives you a base understanding of all the process. I also expanded on that as I was on the Service Desk and got a more advanced understanding of this area. With that said, I also have my ITIL Practitioner Support and Restore v2 certification as well.

JOB LEADS

While my wife is searching for jobs for herself, she usually finds some that may be in my neck of the woods. She sent me a few leads which may pan out today.

I also have alerts from Dice, Monster and Career Builder which I review as well. For me, these are the BIG 3 as I like to call them. When nothing is popping on these sites, then I have a folder of saved links I use. Some of these other sites are simply the local newspapers which is a very useful tool.

For more government work, I check out USAJOBS. There are also several recruiter sites that I look at to see if there may be anything as well. One job search site my Mom gave me was Indeed which is also on you should have. I also use Craigslist (but with eyes WIDE OPEN) which can be tricky and never really fruitful.

You will note however that you will see the same jobs on multiple sites, so remember you just need to apply once :D

Today is my wife's last day as well. Now we have no income and no benefits - we have both officially become an unemployment statistic.

Jobless Cartoon of the Day
By NatSilva on deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment