Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 11 - Being a Contractor


WORKING AS A CONTRACTOR

I can't say this is the title I would want for myself again (but will as I need the job). I have known several contractors over my time and they have all been great people to work with. They are usually more motivated that an employee as they are under the microscope more. It is however a position that does not guarantee a job tomorrow.

Depending on the Contract company you work for, your benefits are different as well. My wife had full benefits including paid time off.  The company I worked for had no paid time off benefits at all. If I needed time off or it was a holiday work week, I had to work extra to make up the time to get my 40 hours.

On the flip side however, some places view contractors as second rate employees. Though my colleagues didn't treat me this way, the rules of the department did. I was hired as a temp to perm position if things worked out. I busted my ass and did what I could to prove my capabilities and professionalism (which I did as noted by the over-sized 'Thank You' card I got). When we switched to a different department later in the year, all that changed.

Under the new Department, there were 2 rules for Contractors.

Rule 1: Contractors can only work a max of 18 months (1.5 years)
Rule 2: We don't hire Contractors

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????

This has to be the most ASININE set of rules to ever exist in a company. Lets take this in for a minute. You will bring me in, you will train me, I will get my hands into the system and excel, then after a while, just kick me to the curb. You want to talk about a total waste of company time and valuable resources.

The job I was doing had me working outside the original scope of the position i was initially hired for. I was actually knee deep with some of the rules and user setups for their system. I had no time to side train as the thought was that I would be working there for another 6 months. Oh well, not so much and now they are scrambling to catch up on what was dropped by my sudden departure.

Work is getting backed up, people now need to be trained over again and the end user community is upset that the turnaround is now days instead of hours. Sounds like your rules are antiquated and you need to re-evaluate them.

My wife was happy however as she talked with people who used to work for this Bank. They said that you worked hard, but no respect for the job you did. Not a good combination coming from a Bank that is ranked in the top 5 in the United States.

Jobless Cartoon of the Day
 

No comments:

Post a Comment