Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day Four - Unemployment Paperwork

Receipt of Unemployment Insurance Paperwork

Went to the mailbox yesterday and found I had gotten in all my paperwork. It was fairly fast to get this in a couple days. What I found unproductive thought was that it came in 4 different envelopes. You have got to be kidding me - 4 Envelopes!

It was like getting a jigsaw puzzle in several boxes. I can see that at least they are helping the Post Office, but wasting my taxpayer money on all the postage.

Here is what I got in each of the envelope:
  1. Purple DLLR booklet and Maryland Workforce Exchange flyer
  2. Determination of Monetary Eligibility
  3. Claimant Responsibilities when filing for Unemployment  Insurance Benefits
  4. W-4 from to holding or not holding taxes
 Of the 4 forms items listed above, only one needed to be returned. I had to send in my W-4 to let them know NOT to withhold taxes. Maryland is 7% and IRS would be 10%. Since both of us are unemployed, this would mean an extra $152.00 per week. Something that we need to keep the bill collectors at bay. I guess we will need to keep track of this so we have the money for the tax collectors at the end of the year - JOY!

The good news was that I maxed out the payment available (in MD that is $430/week). Even with both of us possibly bringing in $860/week, we are still short by $1400/month in what we would have brought home. We know where some immediate saving is, so we should be able to keep afloat for 3 months or so.

I can start applying for this on Monday, but it will be a cut in benefits as I worked part of the week. They will deduct my gross for that week, so it will only be whatever is left over out of the $430. On top of this, I won't see it for 3 weeks AND it will be on a Debit Card - how is this good for my rent when they don't take cards??? Well, that will be for another day.

Here is our first weekend without jobs to go to on Monday - CRAP!

Jobless Cartoon of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment