Friday, May 18, 2012

Day Three - The Infamous Resume

YOUR RESUME

You have taken the time to review and change all the information on your resume to best describes all the crap you did in the best of light. However, you need a battery of resumes to fit any job criteria you are applying for.

I myself have about 3 different versions as I have a wide range of experiences through out my life so far. Since I have worked, Retail, Warehouse and Technical Support, these 3 resumes will fit one of these possible job opportunities. I only keep the last 3 jobs I worked on my resume so that it doesn't get too overwhelming. This may be different for you as you may have job hopped a bit to get the best job possible. I think in this case, you may want to showcase at least 10+ years of work experience.

HINT: When applying for Government (or really any job) positions, tweak your resume to include as many key words as possible that match the words used in the job posting.

Each of my resumes will be tailored to the specific job I am applying to. This also means the wording or various duties I preformed will be different on each as well. One of the things I found helpful for me was having a MASTER resume. This will have every piece of job information that I can remember for every job I ever did. I will also include all training, titles and certifications that came with the as well. This makes it easy when creating other resumes.

With that said, I have been mainly Technical Support in the last 13 plus years, so I will stick to that as my primary and Warehouse/Retail as my backup. I am not going to provide links to writing resumes or what to put on them as there are enough on the net to sink your Battleship.

Try to keep your resume short and to the point. No more that 2 pages and make sure the font size is easily read by anyone. Any more pages than this and they will just stop reading it on the second page anyway. If you happen to be handing your resume personally, then make sure it is printed out and stapled together. DO NOT try to stand out by printing it on some crazy colored paper (unless maybe you are in Graphic Design). Only on white or cream colored parchment is needed.

Remember above all - KEEP YOUR RESUME UPDATED!

btw ~ I applied to another couple position today, so now up to 6 this week. Need to get out and get my grocery shopping done for the next couple weeks.

Jobless Cartoon of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment